Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions The Kitori and the death of Broyan

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Charles Charles 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Charles
    Charles
    Keymaster

Are there any suggestions as to why the Kitori (apparently) had Broyan killed?

In pursuit of other answers, I was reading King of Sartar and noticed that act of vengeance appears not to have any cause. To an extent, his death seems similar to the killings of Alakoring by the Aldyrami and of Renvald by the Mostali – they were killed at the height of their triumphs and became worshiped heroes of Orlanth. But Broyan’s death does have the resonance of those two deaths as his reputation is somewhat tarnished.

Profile photo of Thomas Iverson
    Thomas Iverson
    Spectator

He broke his pacts by betraying the City of Wonders to Harrek. As King of the Hendrikings, he had an obligation to protect it (after all, he was one of the few who could get inside).

Note how, even with the Only Old One out of the picture, the same mechanisms that were used for centuries to rule were put to good effect by Belintar to keep folks in line.

Profile photo of Charles
    Charles
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote from Thomas Iverson on March 25, 2014, 14:16
    He broke his pacts by betraying the City of Wonders to Harrek. As King of the Hendrikings, he had an obligation to protect it (after all, he was one of the few who could get inside).

Note how, even with the Only Old One out of the picture, the same mechanisms that were used for centuries to rule were put to good effect by Belintar to keep folks in line.

I’m not sure but willing to explore…
    Broyan was not a governor of a sixth so I don’t think he had right of access. Indeed he fought to restore Orlanthi self governance against the God King and by becoming High King of the Orlanthi, Broyan broke any last remnants of Holy Country domination.

The Hendriki and the Uz largely recognised each other as allies against the God King. I’ll readily admit that I’m assuming that the Kitori, who are outside the Holy Country (as I may wrongly recall) largely support the big picture preferences of the Trolls.

Broyan, if anything, seems to be trying to re-create the much earlier mythic Early Storm Age Holy Country of the unified Orlanthi, including the Esrolians, and in alliance with the Uz (which may be more Silver Age, but is still mythic).

Profile photo of Thomas Iverson
    Thomas Iverson
    Spectator

From the guide:

Quote:
    Twelve people can gain access to the City of Wonders: six rulers of the inhabitants and six rulers of the magic of the lands around the City of Wonders.

Sounds like King Broyan to me. I’m not implying that he bought into Belintar’s management scheme, rather, it co-opted him when he used his status (as either High King of the Hendriki or King of Kethaela) to open the City of Wonders.

It’s apparently his city. From King of Sartar, p. 22:

Quote:
    Broyan also urged him to ask Harrek to come and help[, because he knew that Harrek hated the empire too]. So Harrek came too and as payment he asked for Broyan’s greatest city. The unhappy king could only agree.

From King of Sartar, p. 152:

Quote:
    Among the Kitori, a small bright light was snuffed out, and a demon which had many sharp mouths was let out of its skin. It sought vengeance, and fell upon the army of King Broyan while they slept. The king could not keep it away, because he betrayed the City of Wonders, and he was killed there with his army.
    Profile photo of Peter Metcalfe
    Peter Metcalfe
    Spectator

Broyan is not one of the twelve Holy Country people with access to the City of Wonders. He was a rebel against the Holy Country and sought to replace it with the ancient Hendriking kingdom.

He was killed because he failed to pay the Shadow Penalty to the Darkness (cf History of the Heortling Peoples) because he didn’t know about it. But people afterwards erroneously drew a connection between his allowing the City of Wonders to be sacked and his death and concluded that he had betrayed the Holy Country.

Profile photo of Charles
    Charles
    Keymaster

This makes a lot more sense however, I can’t find it in History of the Heortling People. Is there a direct reference?

Profile photo of Peter Metcalfe
    Peter Metcalfe
    Spectator

The reference to History of the Heortling Peoples was to the Shadow Tribute which had penalty clauses attached such as the Double Sacrifice. The circumstances of King Broyan’s death is not mentioned in there but something Jeff told me when I raised similar arguments.

Profile photo of Charles
    Charles
    Keymaster

Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.