Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions Orlanth is Not Dead!

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Simon Phipp Simon Phipp 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Simon Phipp
    Simon Phipp
    Spectator

I’ve read the material in King of Sartar, Sartar, Sartar Companion and the Sartar Rising supplements and I still cannot work out how Orlanth is brought back.

King of Sartar mentions Kallyr’s Short LightBringer Quest, but hints that it didn’t really work.

Sartar Rising says that the Battle of Iceland partially frees Orlanth, but I cannot see how, as it just seems to be a battle with some Lodrili powers.

The DragonRise will break Lunar power in Prax and Dragon Pass, but does that have an effect on Orlanth? Are the Lunars who are killed in the DragonRise holding Orlanth prisoner somehow and killing them allows him to be freed?

Argrath’s LBQ brings back Sheng Seleris, but Orlanth is back long before then, so something else must have happened beforehand.

However, I cannot see what.

Does anyone have any ideas/clues/information on this?

Profile photo of Jon Hunter
    Jon Hunter
    Spectator

I always thought the death of Orlanth was lunar propaganda.

The issue was to my mind the death of worship of Orlanth and the re connection in worship of Orlanth which are far simpler.

However I know nothing it was juts how I read it.

OK just referred to satar rising which I hadn’t read before scrub what I said.

i dunno then.

Profile photo of Martin Helsdon
    Martin Helsdon
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Does anyone have any ideas/clues/information on this?

This features heavily in the campaign of The Coming Storm, where there’s a lot of information on the death of Orlanth and the horrendous implications for the lands within the bounds of the Windstop. There’s also information mostly in the Appendices of the Guide, but TCS covers the human and mythic costs in some detail. The ways in which the Lunar magic is overcome is also mentioned.

The death of Orlanth isn’t the only aspect of the disaster – Ernalda also sleeps. The implications are catastrophic in the area of the Windstop.

The Coming Storm centres on a clan of the Cinsina, and is, so far as I am aware, in final text checking. One of the authors might offer more detail…

Profile photo of Pentallion
    Pentallion
    Spectator

I thought Minaryth Purple saved the day during the battle of (drawing a blank) when he had everyone exhale.

Profile photo of David Scott
    David Scott
    Keymaster

The Windstop area covers more than 30 distinct groups, these are political, and major and minor ranges of elder races. They are not all Orlanthi, but Ernalda going to sleep is going to mess most of them up. As the Windstop is effectively the return of the Great Darkness (mythologically) most will strive to do what their ancestors did to survive. Some groups will fail, some won’t even start, but some will Heroquest to aid the world. Some will succeed and start the process of remaking the world. Helping to bring back Orlanth. For game purposes this means that each group is doing some great adventure / heroquest to save the world. It’s the successes of these groups working independently that weakens the Windstop and eventually restores Orlanth. Afterwards, each will have tales of how they saved the world.

Have look at the map I did here:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-S5GVbaBDsPk/UwdSH2xZTyI/AAAAAAAACwI/85zdDTwPyEc/w1285-h1214-no/Windstop+1623.jpg

It’s in the Guide, but not as big. Look at how far Windstop extends.

Orlanth is in the Underworld somewhere, the Lunars have somehow through great magics got him there. May be it’s a Summon to Justice Yelmic thing masterminded by the Red Emperor, ultimately it doesn’t matter – he’s there, and unable to escape for some reason.

I think he’s locked in a mythic scene with Yelm in his court in the Underworld. Ernalda lies sleeping nearby with her daughters. For some reason he’s not able to atone, as the Lunars are using a secret of theirs to stop him.

Profile photo of Jeff Richard
    Jeff Richard
    Keymaster

The Battle of Iceland (also called the Battle of Auroch Hills) in 1622 partially frees Orlanth, and allows those who follow King Broyan (and participated in his ceremonies before, during, and after the battle) to access Orlanth’s (and Ernalda’s) powers through Broyan (as effectively High Priest). It also weakens the Lunar magic, allowing Ernalda to be contacted at Ezel, and possibly other effects as well.

Around the same time, three yellow stars appear out of Storm Gate and follow the path of Orlanth’s Ring up the Sky Dome (taking seven days), and then disappear. They reappear at Storm Gate seven days later.

This also plays into the coup d’etat in Nochet in 1622 – Esrolian supporters of Broyan (who can prove they have the support of Ernalda by accessing Her magic) force Queen Hendira and her Lunar allies out of the city, starting the Esrolian Civil War.

Ultimately it is the magic unleashed at the Battle of Pennel Ford in 1624 that releases Orlanth from the Underworld and seriously disrupts the Lunar rituals at the New Lunar Temple. Orlanth’s Ring emerges from the Stormgate, now with 11 instead of 8 stars).

Profile photo of David Scott
    David Scott
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote from Simon Phipp on March 16, 2014, 20:46
    Sartar Rising says that the Battle of Iceland partially frees Orlanth, but I cannot see how, as it just seems to be a battle with some Lodrili powers.

I’d suggest you re-read the Battle of Iceland in Orlanth is Dead. In the battle there is no mention of Lodrili powers. There are:

Tarshite soldiers from the Provincial Army.
    The Lasadag Lions
    Benyafils’ Birds – skirmishers.
    The Scorching Swords from Rinliddi.
    Lightning Flyers – elite magical flying troops
    The Diavizzi Guards – medium infantry and skirmishers.
    Yelmalio Mercenaries
    Black Horse Troop members
    Spirit Warriors
    Lightning Flyers
    Talons of the Sun – solar daimons
    Chaos things
    fiery warriors or the Red Tribe

Personally I find the battle of Iceland a bit of a bore. It’s presented as long battle for the heroes.

The real stuff is an epic struggle of mythological proportions in which Iceland occurs at the gates of hell itself – the Air fighting against the Yelm’s guardians to reach Orlanth and help him. With the amount of magic flying around, this is what it becomes – transported to the Underworld. Kallyr is the one who has drawn the battle here and in doing so weakens the defenders, and through a chink enters the throne room. It’s here on her Lightbringers Quest that she only partly succeeds. Her Polestar/Rigsdal magic clearly has a role here, but only gets round it partly. She frees only a small part of Orlanth and then becomes trapped herself, being freed by the heroes at the end of the battle.

Elements of the battle now make more sense – the trolls appearing as supporters, Black horse Demons and their underworld knowledge, the fiery warriors – Yelm’s defenders, etc.

Profile photo of Charles
    Charles
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote from Jeff Richard on March 17, 2014, 11:14
    Ultimately it is the magic unleashed at the Battle of Pennel Ford in 1624 that releases Orlanth from the Underworld and seriously disrupts the Lunar rituals at the New Lunar Temple. Orlanth’s Ring emerges from the Stormgate, now with 11 instead of 8 stars).

Click!

The Battle of Pennel Ford is probably my most favourite scene from King of Sartar. The image of Harrek leading a small unit diagonally from one flank of the front line to another to avenge a petty insult (well maybe not so petty 😀 ) is fantastic. One of the consequences of this action is that many of the sun priests in Dragon Pass are dead, even if they were nowhere near the battle – likely they were providing magical support to Tatius for the battle and also maintaining the ritual that prevented Orlanth from atoning to Yelm.

Profile photo of Scott Martin
    Scott Martin
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from David Scott on March 17, 2014, 09:40
    It’s in the Guide, but not as big. Look at how far Windstop extends.
    Quote:
    Quote from Jeff Richard on March 17, 2014, 11:14
    This also plays into the coup d’etat in Nochet in 1622 – Esrolian supporters of Broyan (who can prove they have the support of Ernalda by accessing Her magic) force Queen Hendira and her Lunar allies out of the city, starting the Esrolian Civil War.

Click. I now see how ugly the earth struggles must have gotten in the Esrolian breadbasket if the mothers could no longer reach Herself. Stopping the wind was never all that important for my guys but this is serious.

I can imagine various factions promoting various husband-protectors in a desperate effort to wake sleeping beauty before all the world’s larders are emptied. Warm earths, red earths, “old” earths, maybe more esoteric efforts of which we as yet know nothing. Hmmmmmmm.

Jeff Richard
    Keymaster

Yes. The leader of the Old Earth faction (she’s in the Guide) returns to Nochet late 1622 or early 1623 and she can reach the Goddess and procure Her blessings for her followers. That proves enough to get her Nochet and force the Lunars (and Queen Hendira) out – even though she is allied with (and some say the lover of) a Vingkotling king! That’s what is meant by Old Earth Alliance – we are talking even older than the Grandmothers. Of course, enough Grandmothers oppose this that she is not acclaimed Queen of Esrolia, meaning a civil war until the Lunars are decisively defeated at Pennel Ford.

Profile photo of Scott Martin
    Scott Martin
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from Jeff Richard on March 17, 2014, 16:49
    allied with (and some say the lover of) a Vingkotling king! That’s what is meant by Old Earth Alliance – we are talking even older than the Grandmothers.

Love it. I was only thinking “old” as a Grandmother, with labrys and snakes and tame oxen and such.

Hey, uh, speaking of bits the Grandmothers deny, any shot at a critical edition of “Ten Women Well Loved” some day?

Profile photo of Pentallion
    Pentallion
    Spectator

So basically, from the time Argrath sails off with Harrek, the embodiment of death to explore the southern continents, Orlanth is dead, and when Argrath returns with Harrek, they win the battle of Pennol Ford and Orlanth returns?

Sounds too coincidental to not be extremely mythologically important.

Profile photo of Emmanuel Ponette
    Emmanuel Ponette
    Spectator

Wouaw. It’s been a long time I didn’t read something from Glorantha (still waiting the GoG). But I like this Death of Orlanth…

What should I read to have the full picture? I don’t plan to play with HQ (more RQ6). Therefore no rules needed. But the whole story seems a very good start for my next campagne.

Jeff Richard
    Keymaster

The Guide to Glorantha gives the best overview of the Death of Orlanth, at least until Coming Storm is out.

Profile photo of Simon Phipp
    Simon Phipp
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from David Scott on March 17, 2014, 12:52

Quote:
    Quote from Simon Phipp on March 16, 2014, 20:46

I’d suggest you re-read the Battle of Iceland in Orlanth is Dead. In the battle there is no mention of Lodrili powers. There are:

Tarshite soldiers from the Provincial Army.
    The Lasadag Lions
    Benyafils’ Birds – skirmishers.
    The Scorching Swords from Rinliddi.
    Lightning Flyers – elite magical flying troops
    The Diavizzi Guards – medium infantry and skirmishers.
    Yelmalio Mercenaries
    Black Horse Troop members
    Spirit Warriors
    Lightning Flyers
    Talons of the Sun – solar daimons
    Chaos things
    fiery warriors or the Red Tribe

The Red Tribe were what I took for Lodrili. When I first read the scenario, I could not get a feel for what was happening and the outcome did not make a lot of sense to me. I skimmed through it a couple of weeks ago, with much the same feeling.

Quote:
    Quote from David Scott on March 17, 2014, 12:52
    Personally I find the battle of Iceland a bit of a bore. It’s presented as long battle for the heroes.

The real stuff is an epic struggle of mythological proportions in which Iceland occurs at the gates of hell itself – the Air fighting against the Yelm’s guardians to reach Orlanth and help him. With the amount of magic flying around, this is what it becomes – transported to the Underworld. Kallyr is the one who has drawn the battle here and in doing so weakens the defenders, and through a chink enters the throne room. It’s here on her Lightbringers Quest that she only partly succeeds. Her Polestar/Rigsdal magic clearly has a role here, but only gets round it partly. She frees only a small part of Orlanth and then becomes trapped herself, being freed by the heroes at the end of the battle.

Elements of the battle now make more sense – the trolls appearing as supporters, Black horse Demons and their underworld knowledge, the fiery warriors – Yelm’s defenders, etc.

Yes, that helps make the battle a lot clearer and puts things into context. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.