Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions “Written” Darktongue

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Scott David Scott 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Erick Eckberg
    Erick Eckberg
    Spectator

The bottom line is: The ad is silly, as presented in the old Snakepipe Hollow adventure. Ignore it. It never existed. Nothing about it is plausible. Neither is the use of Darktongue by any darkness rune group (Vivamort, for instance). It is an ancient language used by the trolls. Likely alien in every sense to mankind.

Profile photo of David Scott
    David Scott
    Keymaster

I think that all of the elemental tongues have their origin is the god time, before the forms were introduced into the mix. Each element has an inherent mode of communication of which spoken and written forms only manifested once the form runes were introduced. In the case of Trolls and Darkness spirits, they have their own dialects of Darktongue, formed by their own forms. They are intelligible to each other, but none have actual ownership of the language, save the source. Any Darkness based being can manifest Darktongue in their own way. I think these languages themselves are magical as they are part of the runes themselves. Learning an elemental language without a connection to the elemental rune concerned should be nearly impossible without the assistance of magic – joining a cult with a connection to the rune, using a charm, or spell.

Profile photo of Robin Mitra
    Robin Mitra
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from David Scott on January 4, 2014, 10:42
    Learning an elemental language without a connection to the elemental rune concerned should be nearly impossible without the assistance of magic – joining a cult with a connection to the rune, using a charm, or spell.

That is interesting. But why would you apply this only to the elemental rune language and not to other ancient languages associated to runes, like Auld Wyrmish, Aldryami or Mostali? And would Dara Happan be such a elemental language as well?

Profile photo of David Scott
    David Scott
    Keymaster

[puts on God Learner Hat]…

Taking them individually –

Auld Wyrmish – we already know that you need to have your tongue split to speak this and joining a Dragon cult would certainly qualify your association. Magic would certainly be helpful with this one.

Aldryami – do Form Runes have an inherent language, I’d say yes but they are not magical, just an expression of form. Does the Plant Rune have an inherent language – plants are mostly silent on this (ha ha) – so no.

Mostali – I suspect is a devolved version of Earthtongue.
    Dara Happan – I suspect is a devolved version of Firespeech.

Devolved languages have lost their magical connection.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.