Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions Working on the Gods of Glorantha

This topic contains 59 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jon Hunter Jon Hunter 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of David Cake
    David Cake
    Spectator

My ideal additions, keeping to the same basic structure and concept – a book about the evolving grand structure of Gloranthan myth.
    I’d like to see a distinction between Zzabur and Malkion the Founder (which is to say, I’d like to see the difference between the Revelations of Now and Solace of the Body discussed). I’d also kind of like to have some material on Vadel. Certainly the big evolutions of Western thought around this time would be good to see addressed.
    Dawn Age, I think Hrestol would be pretty essential. He is the one figure I was really surprised not to see listed.
    I would assume that Lokamayadan would be mentioned in discussion of Nysalor/Arkat/Harmast, but I for one would be interested to hear a bit more about the Tarumath (and Daysenarus for that matter) cults. The philosophy Nysalor is important, but how Nysalor interacts with theism is also important.
    The only figure from Orlanthi myth I’d really like to add is Alakoring – but then, there probably doesn’t need to be much on him, just the creation of the Rex cult as an example of cult evolution.
    Of course, I’d love to have more on Pamaltela and the East, but there is nothing I would remove in favour of something else – I’d rather have Artmal than Vangono for example. There is a lot of useful stuff there. There can always be some more books later.

Profile photo of Scott Martin
    Scott Martin
    Spectator

I would love to see a full treatment of Hrestol and why “the ultimate rite” of Fronelan religion has at times (Genertela Box) been the sacrifice of the king. He is my favorite. Let’s stretch for it.

Loko and the now-false faiths surrounding him may be a true can of worms but — especially in a “Belintar’s Book” context — some notes on how gods are confounded, disproved or “die” would be very, very, very valuable. The bones and blood of the setting are built on the premise of dead gods and yet we know the names and vestigial myths of so few of them. And then Since Time we’ve seen a few gods come and go. I would stretch for this.

Alakoring is a great case in point, since his story shows how the mythic mainstream of a cult can change within Time — and by contrast, how the apparently tremendous religious forces that liberated Saird from the dragons can flare up and then burn out over the course of a few centuries.

Profile photo of Hannu Kokko
    Hannu Kokko
    Spectator

Hmmm – apparently my long and thoughtful reply that I wrote was eaten by the reprisal spirits.

I would vote for very GM AND player character friendly book. There are very few myth busters 🙂 I would like the book to be one that my players would buy for themselves because it is so useful. For example Cults of Prax was very useful so many players in my table bought it. There can be some myth history etc but frankly the players in my table do not much care for that – have not cared for the past 31 years of RQ/Glorantha game we have ran. My game has run in the Balazar/Sartar/Prax/Islands and now heading perhaps to Pamaltela. So those areas as well some others for example the West would be interesting.

Would love the usual suspects that are needed in the 1610s and 1620s by most to be covered deeper than ever and tied much more to their cultures than they have ever been. The (excellent) gaming value and production value of KoH, Pavis the new, Sartar Companion, The Guide to Be is the expectation level.

In addition to the above if we want to avoid Innovator’s Dilemma of serving only the most sophisticated, best and wealthy customers we might not be able to attract new players – I would love to see new players…

Profile photo of Robin Mitra
    Robin Mitra
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from Hannu Kokko on December 10, 2013, 22:09
    There can be some myth history etc but frankly the players in my table do not much care for that – have not cared for the past 31 years of RQ/Glorantha game we have ran.

Luckily we don’t have to agree on that 🙂
    IMHO theist magic in Glorantha doesn’t work without myths, because you can only do what your gods did before you. I love many Gloranthan myths not only because they are lovely fairy tales and fascinating fantasy literature, but also because they determine in a beautiful way what my characters can do in their adventures.

Profile photo of Hannu Kokko
    Hannu Kokko
    Spectator

🙂 The Powers That Be at the Moon Design have a hard crowd to please…

Profile photo of Simon Phipp
    Simon Phipp
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from Hannu Kokko on December 11, 2013, 20:49

At best, everyone will be happy and will buy it.

At worst, some people will wish they had written it in a different way but will buy it anyway.

We may complain but we always buy the supplements.

Profile photo of jean
    jean
    Spectator

I think that we could have 3 books, one per continent
    one about Genertela whose tutelary god was killed
    one about Pamaltela whose tutelary god survived
    one about Vithela whose tutelary god survived but was shattered.

I think that these events had an effect on the local mythology and the local cults.
    Maybe even on the way local people do heroquests

Quote:
    Quote from Simon Phipp on December 11, 2013, 23:01

Quote:

At worst, some people will wish they had written it in a different way but will buy it anyway.

Umm, no.

Profile photo of David Scott
    David Scott
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote from Baron Eric Greystone on December 22, 2013, 22:55

Quote:

Quote:

Umm, no.

Um no to which bit?

No. If I’m happy with it, I’ll buy it.

If I wish it had been written another way, I will not buy it anyway.

There are quite a few items I haven’t bought. If the product goes off in a direction I don’t like, I won’t purchase it. That would be self-defeating. I certainly won’t be able to encourage the production of products in a style I prefer by buying everything else that gets produced. And of course, if it’s a product I don’t like, I’d be foolish to buy it anyway and let it sit on the shelf unread.

So, no. The poster’s statement is incorrect. I will buy supplements that I’m interested in, and will not support those that I’m not interested in.

Profile photo of David Scott
    David Scott
    Keymaster

How would you know you weren’t interested in it if you hadn’t read it?

Seriously?

Profile photo of Simon Phipp
    Simon Phipp
    Spectator
    Quote:

Quote:

Umm, no.

An Orlanthi “Everyone”, i.e. 80%ish.

Profile photo of boztakang
    boztakang
    Participant
    Quote:
    Quote from Simon Phipp on December 26, 2013, 13:35

Quote:

Quote:

Umm, no.

An Orlanthi “Everyone”, i.e. 80%ish.

the gift carriers will be along shortly for the remainder…

Profile photo of Jon Hunter
    Jon Hunter
    Spectator

OK moving away from the later good natured bickering on the thread. I think there are a number of key questions here, that the balancing act of product creation needs to address.

Even thought the mythic story ark is a wonderful idea and I love it, what is it trying to achieve?
    Which Gods best fit that goal?

What regions and cultures are most important to the majority of players and games?
    Which key Gods have been under represented in widely available products?
    Which cults have already been published in material we expect most players/GM’s to own(recent widely available)?
    What key concepts need to be translated to fully explain the mythic ark? Which Gods best represent those concepts?

I think those questions far outweigh the ‘I run a game in this under developed region, can I have some info’ arguments. I think we know if we want a 100% finished out of the box game, play in Prax and Satar.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.