Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions Working on the Gods of Glorantha

This topic contains 59 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jon Hunter Jon Hunter 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dan Barker
    Dan Barker
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from Peter Metcalfe on November 14, 2013, 21:10
    My thots

I would rework it like:

GREEN AGE: Kyger Litor

My Comment: Kyger is here along with the other Elder Races as her peak time is the bliss of Wonderhome.

OK, I see your point but I disagree. During the Green Age may have been her peak time, but Uzdom is divorced from the greater world, with only Zorak Zorans burning showing any interaction with outside forces. For World Mythology she only has an impact once her people are forced into the outside world. She is placed when her cult had the greatest impact.

As for your later reworking of the book, Jeff has already explained his direction for the book; he wants to keep it pantheon neutral*. It seems that he has an narrative arc for the document, and putting in a more pantheonist skew breaks that arc.

As for Hwarin Dalthippa, my guess is that the Lunars show the legacy of a post-Godlearners world. Like no other culture they have created a whole new mythology from scraps. Therefore the book is weighted in their favour.

*Yes, I realise I’m saying that the book as defined by Jeff has a pantheonist skew towards the Lunars. They are the heirs of Nysalorian/Arkati/Godlearner thought.

I wonder if there is an unfinished chapter on JarEel in Belintar’s manuscript…

Profile photo of Robin Mitra
    Robin Mitra
    Spectator

Jeff, I understand that you can’t detail all Gloranthan deities, not even all the major ones. However, I agree with Emmanuel that some more Pamalatelan (and Fonritan) gods would be much appreciated. On the other hand some of the listed gods have already recently been published in the two Sartar books. Is it necessary to cover their myths again?

Profile photo of Hyperlexic
    Hyperlexic
    Spectator

Peter’s Comment: Hwarin Dalthippa in addition to HonEel seems a bit of an overkill.

My thought: I won’t make a claim for her relative importance, but personally I love HD and would love to learn more about her. In particular I’ve always been fascinated with the Daughter’s Roads and would like to learn a bit more.

Profile photo of Charles
    Charles
    Keymaster

I feel that there is another potential lesson to be learned from observing what has and is still happening with the Guide.

Maybe letting the next foundational work from Moon Design get so big that the publication queue stalls for 18 months is not the optimal plan? It may be better for both publishers and purchasers if there is enough goodness left in the Pamaltelan and East Isles gods to warrant a later publication of Gods volume 2?

Profile photo of Robin Mitra
    Robin Mitra
    Spectator

Considering the plentitude of Gloranthan gods and goddesses the idea of splitting the GoG in two volumes seems reasonable. But if the content of the book is sorted by age rather than by region, I would do the same with the volumes. E.g. volume 1: Green to Chaos age, volume 2: Lightbringer to Third age.

Profile photo of Jeff Richard
    Jeff Richard
    Keymaster

The Gods of Glorantha book will cover the mythological scope and detail those cults that I think best illustrate the structure of Gloranthan mythology and give sufficient guidance for people to try to model those cults using various rule systems. This will not be a book like the original RQ3 Gods of Glorantha or its later pale echo. The cults lists are those I plan to have detailed at a bare minimum. More will be added if the Kickstarter is successful.

Profile photo of Emmanuel Ponette
    Emmanuel Ponette
    Spectator

Yeah, let’s start the Kickstarter then… 😉

Ok, I’m a little too enthusiastic and impatient… Sorry.

Profile photo of Emmanuel Ponette
    Emmanuel Ponette
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from Charles Corrigan on November 15, 2013, 14:17
    I feel that there is another potential lesson to be learned from observing what has and is still happening with the Guide.

Maybe letting the next foundational work from Moon Design get so big that the publication queue stalls for 18 months is not the optimal plan? It may be better for both publishers and purchasers if there is enough goodness left in the Pamaltelan and East Isles gods to warrant a later publication of Gods volume 2?

We all know that this kickstarter will be a huge success. 1300 backer for nearly ten times what was asked for the GoG. We can easily imagine that 90% of the previous backer will do the same for the Gods book. Plus all those that missed the GoG. In order to have only a small delay, Don’t start the kickstarter before the whole book is written.. 😉

But I cannot even imagine the huge amount of work it could be. We should all send Christmas presents to the whole team to support them.

Profile photo of Hannu Kokko
    Hannu Kokko
    Spectator

This is a good start. You assured yourself the stretch goals as many of my favorites are there. More Pamaltela please. Where is Krjalki when you need him… Nysalor/Gbaji?

Profile photo of Daniel
    Daniel
    Spectator

Seems promising, of course. Although, in addition to Pamaltela and East Isles, I can’t help but feel that the water gods are rather underrepresented. It’d be nice to have Heler, at least, as the impression I get from some of his myths and his place in the Sea Tribe geneology is that he’s rather more important than he may seem at first glance.

Hannu Kokko
    Spectator

Missing my favorite one: Thanatar. Please add him – you get three in one

Hannu Kokko
    Spectator

Put my eyeglasses on and became illuminated enough to see Nysalor on the list. He managed to deceive me at first

Profile photo of Scott Martin
    Scott Martin
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from Daniel on November 15, 2013, 17:42
    Seems promising, of course. Although, in addition to Pamaltela and East Isles, I can’t help but feel that the water gods are rather underrepresented.

Especially if the conceit is that this started out as Belintar’s book, I would also like to beg for this and/or seed early stretch goals. Choralinthor and the triolini. Golod and his family. They may be peripheral in many landlocked regions of Glorantha but not the Holy Country. I’d trade Wachaza if it came down to it.

And if we’re dealing with a late Lunar gloss, the relative weight (or lack thereof) of the sea pantheon in their syncretic vision may just hold a key to the Hero Wars…!

Profile photo of aumshantih
    aumshantih
    Spectator

Constructive criticism: Uleria should be in there, and providing some of Her other names and forms might make it more useful to those of us who explore “out side of the barbarian box.”

Annoyed Griping: I find it sad that the under-represented deities of Glorantha are, again, under-represented. I mean, how many times do we need to beat over the head with the Praxian Pantheon?

More Vithela! More Pamaltela! Something from Teshnos might be nice, even a sidebar under Yelm and Lodril.

Who am I kidding.. I’ll be saving my pennies to kickstart this as usual. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.