Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions Tradetalk and other “Religious” Tongues

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Erick Eckberg Erick Eckberg 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Erick Eckberg
    Erick Eckberg
    Spectator

A couple questions concerning language:

Is Tradetalk a written tongue or more of a “pidgin” language? If so, does it have its own script?

Are Firespeech and Darra Happan pretty much the same language? Do they at least share the same script?

New Pelorian, related to the Theyalan tongues or some “new” invention?

Stormspeech. Does it also have its own script? Is it widely spoken by storm worshippers, or perhaps their priesthood?

Profile photo of Peter Metcalfe
    Peter Metcalfe
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Is Tradetalk a written tongue or more of a “pidgin” language? If so, does it have its own script?

It’s a pidgin which has a simplified shorthand – called Tally.

Quote:
    Are Firespeech and Darra Happan pretty much the same language? Do they at least share the same script?

All Pelorian Languages are written these days in the Dara Happan Alphabet.

Quote:

New Pelorian is a new invention of the Pelorian Language.

Quote:
    Stormspeech. Does it also have its own script? Is it widely spoken by storm worshippers, or perhaps their priesthood?

Stormspeech is written in one of the three Orlanthi scripts. Most Orlanthi would recognize it being said but are unable to have a conversation in it.

Erick Eckberg
    Spectator

Super-cool. Thanks!

Profile photo of Jeff Richard
    Jeff Richard
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:

All Pelorian Languages are written these days in the Dara Happan Alphabet.

Quote:
    Quote:

New Pelorian is a new invention of the Pelorian Language.

Not quite. New Pelorian the script is a simplified version of the Dara Happan sacred script (we actually have the script, as well as Dog Scratching and Cat Scratching but ran out of time to create the font to include it in the Guide).

New Pelorian the spoken language, it is a Pelorian tongue and is the official language of government. Most educated people use it. Dara Happan is the cult language of the Solar religions, primarily learned by priests, pedants, and traditionalists. Outsiders often call Dara Happan “Firespeech”.

Profile photo of Simon Phipp
    Simon Phipp
    Spectator

Doesn’t New Pelorian have a lot of mystical, magical and philosophical elements built in to it? I was under the impression that the Red Goddess, or other Lunars, reinvented the language to help them understand these concepts in an easier way than extent Pelorian languages.

Profile photo of Edan Jones
    Edan Jones
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from Jeff Richard on April 30, 2014, 07:31
    Outsiders often call Dara Happan “Firespeech”.

One wonders if this is a product of Tradetalk?

It would make sense that tradetalk, unable to describe complex ideas (like the names of languages), would end up describing them as [rune]+language.

Profile photo of Evilroddy
    Evilroddy
    Spectator

Can people communicate through Tally or is it just an accounting and transactional tool? In my campaign there is no written Tradetalk and merchants use a symbolic language to record transactions. Contracts have to be written in other tongues as the symbolic language is too simple to express complex ideas or conditional clauses. Also, in my campaign, there may have once been a written Tradetalk but the reaction to the Godlearners’ excesses wiped that out of living and mythic memory.

Simon Phipp
    Spectator

In my campaigns, TradeTalk can be written down, as traders need to have contracts and so on. For me, the beauty of TradeTalk is that people from far away can trade and negotiate using the cult language, so it makes no sense for an Issaries credit note to be written in Western and then exchanged in Prax. Far better for it to be written in TradeTalk, so that it can be used anywhere there is an Issaries cultist.

Profile photo of Evilroddy
    Evilroddy
    Spectator

Simon, I thought about doing things your way but then I realized that Scholars’ temples would make a good living writing and translating contracts from language to language. Gotta keep those bearded fellows busy or there’s no telling what kinds of mischief they will get into!

Simon Phipp
    Spectator

They have much more important things to translate that trade contracts. Why sully their hands with such things, when they could be translating important historical documents?

Erick Eckberg
    Spectator

I think I would have to go with a written Tradetalk, if for any reason, game playability (boo, hiss). However, as a game master (or narrator), if I were to produce a written prop, I would intentionally make it sound rather base and “business” oriented, perhaps stumbling through any attempts to convey some “esoteric” idea. And yes, being a God Leaner-spread language, revert to Runic descriptions wherever a possible unknown (people, culture, cult, situation, etc) was being described.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.