Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions The Tournament of the Masters of Luck and Death

This topic contains 38 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Simon Bray Simon Bray 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jeff Richard
    Jeff Richard
    Keymaster

Keep in mind that term “superhero” is not used in the Guide or in the Gods book. I don’t think it is particularly useful outside of a wargaming context (and probably won’t use it even there). There are demigods who are not combat-oriented heroes. However, Harrek, Jar-eel, Arkat, Sheng Seleris, Yanafal Tarnils, the Red Emperor, and Androgeus (among others), all simultaneously exist in both this world and the Otherworld.

Profile photo of Simon Phipp
    Simon Phipp
    Spectator

In my opinion, all demigods exist in both worlds, as they had to have performed a GodQuest of some sort to become a demigod. Sometimes that GodQuest was done by someone else and they simply inherited the status, others perform their GodQuest within Time. Some DemiGods were born in the God Time and exist in both worlds naturally, but are not powerful enough to be removed from the Mundane World.

Heroes (not the PC-kind) also exist in both worlds, in my opinion. They haven’t performed a GodQuest as such to place them in the GodsPlane, but they have established a presence through performing their own Heroic Act, or Act That made Then a Hero. In my simplistic terminology, they have established a place on the GodsPlane whereas DemiGods have established their Quest or Story on the GodsPlane.

Profile photo of Jeff Richard
    Jeff Richard
    Keymaster

I’m very reluctant to say things like “all demigods” have performed a God Quest or anything like that. The term “demigod” is very fluid and encompasses a lot of beings.

Hopefully the various essays on Heroes in the Guide will make that clearer.

Profile photo of Charles
    Charles
    Keymaster

I can’t recall if this was a conversation with Greg or some posting of his in response to one of my questions, it was least 12 years back. Anyway, paraphrasing, and recognising that this may be contradicted in the guide…

Any being that has more than 1 manifestation qualifies to be a god or demi-god. Ralzakark has this ability as part of his chaotic nature and did not obtain this ability through questing. He just has multiple bodies.

I am sure that I read somewhere different (Dorastor, Land of Doom?) that Ralzakark speaks of not wanting to move from demi-god to god as it would be too limiting for him.

Profile photo of Martin Helsdon
    Martin Helsdon
    Spectator
    Quote:
    I am sure that I read somewhere different (Dorastor, Land of Doom?) that Ralzakark speaks of not wanting to move from demi-god to god as it would be too limiting for him.

Dorastor: The Talastar Papers: “Why should I covet the fetters of the Compromise? Better to guide the freeman’s plow in Dorastor than the thrall’s rag in the Court of Heavens.”

Profile photo of Simon Bray
    Simon Bray
    Spectator

Anyone who has played my Masters of Luck and Death Freeform will have experienced the joy of being selected to become the new body of Belintar. They will also know that the event is like a badly staged Gilbert and Sullivan musical, combined with America’s got talent and that the God king wears white jumpsuits, eats hamburgers and has a very shaky leg. The trolls are trying to resurrect on the Only Old One and are all Bad Ass Gangstas! All good fun, though how “row, row your boat” won a talent contest I will never know!

Profile photo of Mark Mohrfield
    Mark Mohrfield
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from Simon Bray on November 17, 2013, 23:06
    All good fun, though how “row, row your boat” won a talent contest I will never know!

The Rightarm Islands judge must have been a Diros cultist.

Profile photo of Charles
    Charles
    Keymaster

My heart sank when I realised that the last round of the Tournament was a Talent contest. And when Nick brought out Brisen to sing with him, I started swearing. Silently, of course.
    Amazing how caught up we can become in our characters 😀

Profile photo of Simon Bray
    Simon Bray
    Spectator

The judges were Lord Cowl, Charun Uzborn and Brooway Waltz of course….

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.