Home Forums Gaming in Glorantha RuneQuest The Alien Combination Machine

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Scott David Scott 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Pentallion
    Pentallion
    Spectator

I don’t play Heroquest and cannot afford to buy Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes having just forked out for the GtG. So could anyone explain in RQIII or RQ6 terms how this device works for Lhankor Mhy?

Profile photo of David Scott
    David Scott
    Keymaster

Simply – it just lets them have Grimoires and spells. It has no game rules effect.

Profile photo of Roko Joko
    Roko Joko
    Spectator

It circumvents theist limitations on learning or using sorcery. You might need to invent some or make them more stringent for that to fit the description.

Pentallion
    Spectator

So it converts sorcery spells into divine equivalents? Protective circle with dmg and spell resist become shield?

Roko Joko
    Spectator

I meant it would allow you to learn and use sorcery skills and not get kicked out of the Heortling religion.

I don’t know what effect it would have for Orlanthi religions that don’t frown on sorcery so much. Maybe give you a small bonus to sorcery skills.

Profile photo of Peter Metcalfe
    Peter Metcalfe
    Spectator

I don’t think knowing sorcery spells is an automatic apostasy offence in Heortling Society. Sure there are some people opposed to it but not everybody. The real offence would be concentrating on the sorcery spells and failing to pay proper respect to the Gods.

Profile photo of Robin Mitra
    Robin Mitra
    Spectator

I think there are many Heortlings who use spells without even knowing that they are sorcery. But the Sages of Lhankor Mhy do know and they would usually refrain from using such blasphemous sources, because it corrupts the human soul to perform godless magic. Therefore Sages use the Alien Combination Machine to cleanse a grimoire of its corruption. Essentially they are making spells safe to use.

Roko Joko
    Spectator

Peter and Robin, I don’t really disagree with either of you (well, maybe with Peter a little). But part of the reason I answered that way is that I’d say the concept of common magic is most straightforwardly handled in RQ3 by spirit magic and in RQ6 by folk magic. In both rule sets, taking sorcery skills is a relatively specialized undertaking that I think fits what you’re both describing fictionally.

Pentallion
    Spectator

So in RQ3 terms, my Lhankor Mhy actually uses the rules for sorcery? I was thinking the ACM grants the LM the divine version of the sorcery spell.

Profile photo of David Scott
    David Scott
    Keymaster

So in RQ3 terms, my Lhankor Mhy actually uses the rules for sorcery? I was thinking the ACM grants the LM the divine version of the sorcery spell.

uses rune spells and sorcery

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.