Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions Tarkalors Keep

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Erick Eckberg Erick Eckberg 4 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Erick Eckberg
    Erick Eckberg
    Spectator

Sorry for the minutia, not really into the esoterica of Glorantha (I’m not Illuminated). Ahem. Can anyone give me a scoop on Tarkalor’s Keep, circa 1618-1619? Do the Varmandi hold it? Did the House of Sartar hold it prior to that? How do the Varmandi afford to pay/support thanes/mercenaries to hold the keep against some perceived threat? What is the “imminent threat” mentioned in King of Sartar? Why would the Lunars allow the Sartarites to hold a castle in the middle of their occupied territory? Seems to me, that if they couldn’t/didn’t want to garrison it, they’d simply destroy it. I ask because some BlackOak thugs murdered one of my player’s father and he’s hunting them down to retrieve his sword (the Black Blade of Voss Varainu – they were/are both Humakti). I figure the last of the scoundrels (there were 3 of them = he has to hunt down each in turn) is hiding among the garrison of Tarkalor’s Keep. Any info (if any is available) would be awesome. Thanks, Gloranthophiles.

Profile photo of Peter Metcalfe
    Peter Metcalfe
    Spectator

It’s curious. Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes say the Varmandi live around Tarkalor’s Keep and their main settlement appears to be Oakton. Dragon Pass: Gazeeter has little about it.

Minaryth Blue and Family moves to Tarkalor’s Keep in 1605 so it’s clear that there are Orlanthi there at least before Starbrow’s revolt.

My guess is that Tarkalor had it built in 1575 ST (KoS p281) as a safeguard from the Upland Marsh and staffed it with Royal Troops – nothing spectacular, just a file or two.

AFter the Fall of Sartar, the Keep fell into the control of the Colymar King who wanted to keep an eye on the Varmandi Clan. Its history post Starbrows Revolt is likely to be confused by since the Varmandi lost territory, it’s hard to see them taking it nor is it easy to see it being given to the Orlevings. Current Lunar control is a possibility but since the lunar troops at Jonstown and Runegate are known and none mention a tower, I assume they don’t worry about it.

So I assume that the Lunars occupied it until Blackmor bribed them to leave and put in his own troops (ie Lunarized Colymar). A wrinkle might be that Prince Temertain claims the Keep and is mustering a legal claim against Blackmor for it (through the Lunar Courts naturally).

Erick Eckberg
    Spectator

Awesome! Just what I needed! That’ll really complicate my player waltzing in, whacking off the head of the offending BlackOak Brotherhood member, and trotting home with Dad’s sword….

There appears to be a Hiording presence at Tarkalor’s Keep (possibly only in the service of the Prince or the Colymar king). “Around” doesn’t necessarily mean right there.

Erick Eckberg
    Spectator

Yeah, I found a comment in King of Dragon Pass which mentioned the Varmandi had recently lost land around the keep. I like the idea of Blackmoor garrisoning it. I couldn’t see how a typical clan could afford to do so. Even some minimal garrison of 30 men would be a huge strain on a clan, and for what benefit? Some possible attack by the Malani? I figure an average clan chieftain might be able to support maybe 10 huscarls, at the very most, and he certainly wouldn’t want them all away from his hall, manning some castle. Carls and thanes are busy men, mercenaries are expensive and unreliable, and enemy clan attacks usually are small cattle raids which a castle would not help prevent. Blackmoor, however, does have the resources to man the place, and might well do so simply for the prestige of claiming this famous fortification.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.