Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions So Where Were The Spiders?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scott Martin Scott Martin 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Scott Martin
    Scott Martin
    Spectator

Profoundly jetlagged, I turn to WF 5 and the new Nomad Gods spirit counter “THE SPIDER,” which is described as “representative of a tribe of giant spiders occasionally found in Prax.”

I suspect these fugitive araneans have been pushed aside in modern Generally Accepted Glorantha — maybe a sign of Cragspider’s eye on the southeast, maybe not — but it gets me thinking about where and why we find spider people:

* Dorastor is a place mortals reached too high and were cast down. The spider-folk live there and seem unusually resilient to the taint of Chaos. Most serious scholars seem to ignore them but given Greg’s love of a spider motif their presence may be more than just filler.

* Jrustela is a place mortals reached too high and were cast down. The arachans live there and are weird. Two spider centers now.

* Cliffhome is a place where they follow the spider. Three spider centers, and possibly the source of the Nomad Gods spirit cult.

* Otherwise scattered references in the Guide to spiders, spider entities, spider myths.

My two takeaways are that the presence of spiders in the Dragon Pass region is one more proof of how important the place is . . . and that the troll queendom of Gargankot Broke Tooth who migrated to broken Jrustela may have had a deeper agenda in getting close to those timinits. Aranea is a darkness spirit, after all, but hers was the form Arachne Solara borrowed.

What do trolls know about Fate?

Profile photo of Peter Metcalfe
    Peter Metcalfe
    Spectator

I think the Spiderfolk of Dorastor landed there after the Sunstop when Arachne’s web broke and a strand fell in Dorastor.

Arachne Solara interestingly enough was said to have intervened when the Jrusteli overstepped the bounds of magic although we aren’t told what she actually did.

Profile photo of Keith Nellist
    Keith Nellist
    Spectator

Ooh! Good theory on the Dorastan spiders that appeared from nowhere. I like it.

I always assumed the the Spiders in Prax came down from Dagori Inkarth.

A Storm Bull chant mentions them:

“So where were the Spiders?
    While the fly tried to break our balls
    Just a beer light to guide us
    So we bitched about his fans, and should we crush his sweet hands?”

Not sure what it means.

Profile photo of Niall
    Niall
    Spectator

My current Prax game has Grandmother Spider and her minions in it. They came down from Dagori Inkarth to fight chaos, trapping it in their webs and stayed on in isolated spots.

Profile photo of boztakang
    boztakang
    Participant
    Quote:
    Quote from Scott Martin on May 19, 2014, 04:03

* Cliffhome is a place where they follow the spider. Three spider centers, and possibly the source of the Nomad Gods spirit cult.

What do trolls know about Fate?

Just to fuel speculation, It may not really be cliffhome itself that brought the spiders – don’t forget the “ruined chaos city” at the bottom of sky fall lake… that could well be another place where mortals overreached themselves. Only Cragspider herself could say for sure, and she doesn’t seem especially eager to talk about it.

In troll mythology, it was the spider that whispered in Kyger Litor’s ear and showed her the way to weave the last few broken pieces of existence into a web of time. I don’t think they would be surprised at all to find lots of spiders swarming around any place where that web has been significantly disturbed.

also:
    Could there be some connection between an earthly “red planet” and the “Spiders from the Red Moon” mentioned in the mad rantings of the famous Lunar celestial philosopher Ziggy Stardust?

Profile photo of Keith Nellist
    Keith Nellist
    Spectator

Ziggy isn’t a Lunar philosopher, he’s a Waha Khan that raided too much leaving his herds unprotected, as this Eirithan song clearly shows:

Ohh, yeah
    Ziggy prayed” Waha!”. Fighting broo with sword and spirits
    And the riders from Waha! He used his left hand
    Made into a Khan
    Became the special man, then we were Ziggy’s band

Ziggy had a plan, raided Teshnos, raided Sartar
    Like some Pentan , like Sheng, he could take from them smiling
    He could leave them with nothing
    Go home so loaded man, with plundered treasures, man.

So where were the riders?
    When High Llama tried to take our bulls
    Just our herd beasts to guide us
    So we bitched about his band, and should we crush his sweet hands?

Ziggy played for time, jiving us that we were Elders
    The herds just need grass, he was the Khan
    They’d comer to no harm
    He took it all too far, but boy could he pray “Waha!”

Making love with his ego
    Ziggy sucked up into his mind
    Like a Storm Bull berserker
    When the broos had killed the man I had to break up the band

Ohh, yeah
    Ziggy prayed “Waha!”

Profile photo of boztakang
    boztakang
    Participant

perhaps the only Durulz to ever become a Kahn of waha… as evidenced by his alternate moniker, the “Thin White Duck”

Scott Martin
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from Dan McCluskey on May 19, 2014, 23:05
    perhaps the only Durulz to ever become a Kahn of waha… as evidenced by his alternate moniker, the “Thin White Duck”

I believe that is “Qwahn.”

All good things here. More to come I hope.

Actually, doesn’t Wild Temple have a Fate Rune (for “Nature”)? I’d forgotten that until checking back up on the odd symbiotic consciousness the timinits allegedly once had but now have lost.

Profile photo of David Scott
    David Scott
    Keymaster

Spiders in Prax
    Waha wasn’t born until late in the Great Darkness. He was gestating inside Eiritha in the underworld, waiting to be born, trapped in the endless Earth Goddesses’ Dream. Here his spider aunt showed him how to reknit the broken parts of the Wastelands, survivors and spirits together so that they would not be lost. Finally after a great struggle, he was birthed by Earth Witch and set off to fix what was broken in the world. He travelled the Wastelands meeting those who had saved people. Daka Fal, Foundchild, Helpwoman and all the spirits of the wastelands, knotting them together into a great string bag. Finally he gave the drawstrings to his spider aunt and she rose into the sky pulling everything tight and together, catching any parts he’d missed. The bag was closed and she is the black closing bead. This is why all Waha magic has string in it, cats cradles form the basis for their charms. The Spider tribe and the giant spiders who make it up originally lived at the edge of Genert’s Garden in Shadows Dance in harmony with all the other beings there. They will occasionally reappear when a khan needs their help or wisdom and performs the Task of Waha and the Spider.

Profile photo of Niall
    Niall
    Spectator

Lovely stuff. So what is the Task of Waha and the Spider? Collecting aid from all the other spirits?

That makes Grandmother Spider or Aunty Spider rather more important than she was before.

Profile photo of David Scott
    David Scott
    Keymaster

The Task of Waha and the Spider is going into the Goddesses’ Dream and meeting your spider aunt.

Scott Martin
    Spectator

Bump to admire all responses (sometimes I got nothing and a simple “thanks” feels like it clutters our historical record) and to note a fourth spider: the entity that presented itself at the Red Goddess’ birth to offer its “protection.”

What did spiders mean to them up in Torang? I recall occasional speculation about the Deezola Rune being a version of Fate and her patron has been stated as being “Arachne Solara.” Sure. Maybe this is another name for the Glorantay but let’s run with it for a minute.

We know that the “Solara” mock-latinate form still refers to the sun in Gloranthan etymology (Solara Tempora = Time of the Sun) so if “Arachne” holds up, we are dealing with a sun spider. Cragspider is known for her fire powers, so that connection seems strong enough to hold weight.

Now maybe these are all scattered survivals of Dorastan religion and maybe not, but the semantic web seems to be drawing a little tighter. And did the spider whisper to Kyger Litor that it was time for darkness to leave the council?

Who else has fire powers among trolls? Where and when does he come from, within time? What is his secret?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.