Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions Slave Class?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Charles Charles 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mankcam
    Mankcam
    Spectator

Just a query, as I have been unable to locate such in the G2G pdf or in my earlier Gloranthan resources:

I was just wondering if the Malkioni keep slaves, and do they have a specific caste title designated for such. Just like the Heortlings do with their ‘Thrall’ social class.

The Republican and Imperial era Romans had the ‘Servi’ class, which effectively was a caste that ranged from Indebted Servants down to labour prisoners, depending on how one found themselves to be designated into such caste.

It strikes me that the Malkioni would perhaps do something similar, and I was wondering if they have a designated title for the caste?

I also presume that the Lunar Empire does likewise.

For both cultures I would like to know if they folow the Egyptian Slave model where one is a slave until death, or if they follow the Roman Servi model (and also Heortling Thralls) where it can be a temporary social class, depending upon reasons for entering slavery, and opportunities to earn their freedom?

I just want to know if any there are any official Gloranthan sources on this? I’m interested in what peoples views are on the subject

Slaves aren’t (malkioni) people. They have no caste or the rights associated with those castes.

The Vadeli were infamous for their slavery-based empire that took over all of Danmalastan (and wide tracts outside) except for Old Brithos. Hence the Brithini don’t keep slaves.

Their mortal descendants who emigrated from Brithos found different conditions when dealing with barbarians or “krjalki”, much like the Viymorni (ancestors of the Vadeli) before them. Pelandan history is full of oppressive sorcerous blue-skinned peoples from the West, and while the Vadeli had managed to putsch against their Kachasti keepers when the Mostali raised the Nidan Mountains, I am not entirely convinced that all the groups mentioned in Entekosiad were Vadeli. Those with water ties might also have been strange Waertagi, others may have been Kachasti with a failure to communicate.

Pamaltela only had contact with the Vadeli and the Waertagi.

Profile photo of Jeff Richard
    Jeff Richard
    Keymaster

Slaves are property, not full people. Peoples defeated in war are ordered to transfer loyalties (if already good Rokari), assigned to the Dronar or Horal castes (if they are barbarians living in places now filled with good Rokari rulers), or taken as slaves (who are outside the caste system, doomed to never achieve Solace, but are useful nonetheless). Slaves are also purchased from the Safelster cities.

Profile photo of Mankcam
    Mankcam
    Spectator

Interesting. I like the explanation. I intend running a Malkioni campaign, so I want to do it right.

I take it that if the Rokari and Arkati/Honotheist have slaves, then the Ashara Trader Princes may also have likewise. Actually, do they trade in slaves? If so, where would they be getting them from. The Trader Princes don’t strike me as imperial types so there is no war they are involved in that is a source of slaves, unless they are taking advantage of ravaged Wenelian villages from Greymane’s raids…

Where are the slaves coming from in Safelster and Seshnela? It’s easy to see an expansive empire like The Lunar Empire turning war prisoners into slaves, but I’m unclear with the Malkioni, unless slaves are not prominent in their culture. Or is slavery a form of punishment for criminals in lieu of incarceration?

Profile photo of Jeff Richard
    Jeff Richard
    Keymaster

BTW, pg 49 of the Guide reads:

Slaves and foreigners (ie, non-Malkioni) are outside the caste structure and not subject to their restrictions or their protections. Non-Malkioni are known as “jabberers” and are under the protection of the ruling talars.

Profile photo of Mankcam
    Mankcam
    Spectator

I love the pdf but can only skim until I get the actual book in my hands, I think my brain digests the content better with ‘physical’ books.

Yes, very interesting this concept of ‘Jabberers’ – so foreigners are under the protection of the ruling Talars – I guess its up to the ruler if someone becomes a slave or not, or if they remain as ‘guests’ in their settlements.

Lots of possibilities for a devious GM to play around with here…

Thanks for the reference Jeff, any input from the authors are greatly appreciated!

Profile photo of Anthony
    Anthony
    Spectator

Slavery is a pretty fascinating thing. The god of slavery is a chaos god, but slavery itself doesn’t seem to be chaotic. Odd place, Glorantha.

Profile photo of Charles
    Charles
    Keymaster

I suspect that Ompalam is a god of slavery, not the only god of slavery.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.