Home Forums The Tribe Website updates Old site goodies

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Scott David Scott 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Runeblogger
    Runeblogger
    Spectator

Hi there,

I know this new site is still a work in progress, but I really miss the old “Search Index”. The new Search box is not as good IMHO. In the old version, if you typed “Yelm” for example, besides the usual information you got many links on a column to the left that took you to many other intersting tidbits of information, all of them linked to a previous publication from the many publications of the past. Is this coming back in the new site? Please say yes!

I also miss the free scenarios and the fan-submitted art.

Profile photo of David Scott
    David Scott
    Keymaster

The reason that the search is not as good as the old one is very simple – the material is simply not there. Bear in mind that not all info from the older sites will be transferred across. Some of it is very out of date and the Guide will supersede it. However if there is something you want to know about, ask here in the forum and we’ll try and look it out for you, direct you to a better source or get Jeff to give you a better answer.

Profile photo of Bellem
    Bellem
    Spectator

I’d really like to get a hold of the joke section. I had been using it whenever I sent out anything to my players. At the end of the email, I’d put in a Glorantha joke.
    Probably should have just download the pages because now they are gone.

Profile photo of Simon Phipp
    Simon Phipp
    Spectator

The old Moon Design Forums are at http://moondesign.glorantha.com/forum if you need any of the information that was stored there.

Profile photo of Bellem
    Bellem
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from Simon Phipp on September 1, 2013, 20:38
    The old Moon Design Forums are at http://moondesign.glorantha.com/forum if you need any of the information that was stored there.

The above link doesn’t work.

David Scott
    Keymaster

we’re looking into the problem now, it should be resolved tomorrow. In the meantime the Glorantha questions forum has been migrated to the wiki and is being tided. Use the search to find stuff try yelmalio and you’ll find the rest. Warning – it’s a work in progress.

Profile photo of Ufnal
    Ufnal
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from David Scott on August 28, 2013, 08:33
    The reason that the search is not as good as the old one is very simple – the material is simply not there. Bear in mind that not all info from the older sites will be transferred across. Some of it is very out of date and the Guide will supersede it. However if there is something you want to know about, ask here in the forum and we’ll try and look it out for you, direct you to a better source or get Jeff to give you a better answer.

Will the info that is not transferred still be available somewhere? The old-old site (not the moondesign one but those even older websites linked there) had some wonderful stuff, nevermind how out of date. Is it (or will it be) still accessible somehow? I cannot find a link on this site…

Profile photo of David Summers
    David Summers
    Spectator

Some of the links in glorantha.wikia.com are to glorantha.com but the pages no longer exist. It would be nice of there was at least a page there saying something like “That page no longer exists” or, even better, a note where one can find/buy the material.

David Scott
    Keymaster

Just to let you know that the Glorantha Q&A forum is now archived in the wiki. Use the search box top right.
    Next to Transfer – Jeff’s old blog postings.

David Scott
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote from David Summers on September 6, 2013, 04:44
    Some of the links in glorantha.wikia.com are to glorantha.com but the pages no longer exist. It would be nice of there was at least a page there saying something like “That page no longer exists” or, even better, a note where one can find/buy the material.

The Glorantha Wikia isn’t edited by Moon Deign. However it’s very straightforward to sign up and get involved to correct those rotted links.

David Scott
    Keymaster

Just to let you know that the Glorantha discussions forum, Jeff’s, Dan Barkers and Simon Brays old blog postings are now archived in the wiki. Use the search box top right.
    Next to Transfer Ian, Rick and the Glorantha Q&A

Profile photo of disenchanter
    disenchanter
    Spectator

Are there any plans to recover the old site and the old-old-old library ever again?
    They offered a wealth of information that seems unavailable on the new site, and better organised. It would be very disappointing if that wealth of knowledge, no matter how outdated, has been just removed from existence.

Speaking of which, the new site lacks some of the basic stuff for running a game – like the player handouts. Finding other essential stuff like the character sheets and clan generator has been made a lot harder.

In addition, the majority of google results still point to the old site, even in the few cases where the data has been made available on the new site.

David Scott
    Keymaster

The original site goes back to 1998, perhaps earlier, but that’s the first snapshot I have. Most of the old old site has now been gone through and evaluated so pages were categorised:

Has been completely superseded – not going to reappear.
    Has been incorporated into products in print – not going to reappear.
    Forms part of a product in preparation – not going to reappear.
    Is an unsupported product. – will reappear for errata.
    Is nowhere else and by Greg and not any of the above – will reappear.
    Useful stuff, not any of the above – will reappear.

Most of the stuff that will reappear is already in the wiki. Less than 5% is missing.

If there is something specific that you feel should be migrated, then let me know and MD can reevaluate it.

As for the basic stuff that you list as missing:

Character sheets for HeroQuest 2, type character sheet into the search box top right.

If you want Sartar Style character sheets, they are part of the Sartar Campaign Pack: http://www.glorantha.com/product/sartar-campaign-pack/ or if you have the PDFs you can just print out the page.

For the Clan Generators, type clan generator into the search box top right.

You mention Player Handouts, what are the player handouts that are missing?

Finally, Google. We’ve no control over Google’s or anyone else’s indexing. It will take time for linkrot to set in and new references to be picked up. The site is based on WordPress and is fully indexable by Google, so it’s just a matter of time.

Please note that I’m a volunteer doing this work, I have to fit it in between my real job, and life, so sometimes changes are slow.

Profile photo of disenchanter
    disenchanter
    Spectator

Thanks for the reply. I see the old site is also back, which is even better.
    As for the specific items:
    Player stuff – http://moondesign.glorantha.com/page/sartar-kingdom-heroes-player-handouts
    From your post, it sounds like the plan is to no longer provide the Sartar sheets for free anymore? Is there any particular reason for this?

Old library stuff – the layout in http://moondesign.glorantha.com/library/index.html leaves a lot to be desired, but it’s still a bit faster and easier to navigate than the current site.

Other useful stuff from the old-old-old library – example keywords. These are very useful for player that are new to both Heroquest and Glorantha.

Cult and history information from the old library site – even if it’s bound to appear in a print product in the future, it would be nice to have some online reference left available. At least so that new groups which only bought HQ2(or HQ2 and Sartar) can know what’s happening around the world, or get a rough idea of cults that didn’t get a write up in that book, different tribes, etc. It doesn’t have to be as in-depth as the one in the book, but some basic information would be nice to have available.

David Scott
    Keymaster

The player stuff you point to is also available on the main site – unfortunately it it’s a broken page. I’ll sort that asap:
    http://www.glorantha.com/docs/sartar-kingdom-of-heroes-player-handouts/
    Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    The old library stuff is in the wiki, subject to the previous categorisations. The Search function and eventual hyperlinking will sort that. However different site technology – the new one is searchable, which was high on the want list.

What keywords are you referring to?
    Which cult info are you referring to? (The prosopaedia is complete on the main site).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.