Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions Malkioni queries

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Peter Metcalfe Peter Metcalfe 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mankcam
    Mankcam
    Spectator

Hi all,

I have read that Malkioni have various colours associated with their castes, and in some regions this includes skin colour.

If the Malkioni do have skin colour according to caste, then is this only for the Brithini? Or does it apply to other Malkioni as well? – the Rokari possibly spring to mind, although I’m unsure.

I cannot envision how caste skin colour could apply to Arkati/Honotheists or Ashari who can progress between the castes through personal success, or to the Loskalmi who progress through the caste system through merit.

Also, how do people envision the Malkioni these days?
    They certainly no longer have the flavour of Normans or Medieval Europe. What cultures are reasonable to mix up for an analogy? Currently I’m thinking in broad brush strokes but leaning towards some mix between the Macedonian Empire and the early period of the Byzantine Empire, with some vague Hellenic and/or Vedic Indian touches – I’m not sure if I’m in the ball park or not, but I’m feeling its closer to the Malkioni than how I used to envision them in previous years.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the above šŸ™‚

Profile photo of David Scott
    David Scott
    Keymaster
    Profile photo of Mankcam
    Mankcam
    Spectator

I have the pdf of The Guide now, but have only flipped through it briefly. It looks great, but I never really ingest a book unless I have a hard copy

I have ‘Blood Over Gold:Trader Princes of Maniria’, but I think some of the artistic portrayal in there is obsolete now (well only the Malkioni – they give me the impression of Venetian Empire types which is much more late medeival rather than the more ancient flavour of current Malkioni).

I like having the Zzubari influenced by the styles of Eastern European Orthodox Priests, yet other facets of the Malkioni tend to be more ancient in flavour. The Guide has two pics of Hroali, and they seem to have armour influenced by possibly Byzantine or Saracen cataphracts, with plumes on their open helms that remind me of Alexander The Great and other Macedonian Empire officers.

Those links you sent are very informative and a good place to start; greatly appreciated David. Perhaps if anyone has any links to Osprey style depictions that they are using for Malkioni I would like to see if I’m heading down the right path or not.

The Guide looks great, I can’t wait to have these tomes in my book case, they are going to be heirloom books for my kids šŸ™‚

Profile photo of Mankcam
    Mankcam
    Spectator

Those links are excellent David, a big help, they answer some of my queries and give me food for thought.Once again, thank you for such a prompt reply to my post, and highlighting these pages for me.

Profile photo of Peter Metcalfe
    Peter Metcalfe
    Spectator

If the Malkioni do have skin colour according to caste, then is this only for the Brithini? Or does it apply to other Malkioni as well? ā€“ the Rokari possibly spring to mind, although Iā€™m unsure.

Only the Brithini and the Vadeli are ancient and dedicated enough to have skin colour in caste. Everybody else has lost theirs.

I cannot envision how caste skin colour could apply to Arkati/Honotheists or Ashari who can progress between the castes through personal success, or to the Loskalmi who progress through the caste system through merit.

The Safelstrans do not practice caste (unless they are of Rokari persuasion).

Profile photo of Mankcam
    Mankcam
    Spectator

I was under the impression that Castes would still apply to a degree to the Arkati/Honotheists, Ashari, and Hsrestoli; but movement between the Castes would be much less rigid, kinda more like social classes rather than set-in-stone infallible castes.

The idea of rigid Castes is great for flavour, and feels quite ‘ancient’, but no doubt player characters would find it more satisifying to be Arkati/Honotheists or Ashari, especially if they begin a campaign as Dondari.

I actually would have thought that the Caste clothing colours would be adhered to in some fashion, at least in formal situations. Dondari wearing green and brown ponchos at festive events, Talari wearing gold jewellery with yellow cloaks or togas at public engagements, Zzubari with ornamental sky blue and navy robes, Horali with red cloaks and plumes etc, that kind of thing.

But it makes sense that skin colours have gone by the wayside for all but the Brithini and Vadeli. I think they would still retain the pigmentation, and this is evident by some of the artwork in The Guide where Malkioni are portrayed as having different skin colours.

However the scene in the Guide says it is set in Noloswal, and they definately have the ancient caste skin colours, which actually led me to raise this query. I was under the impression that the Brithini were primarily in Arolanit (and also amongst the Zzubari and Talari of Sog City). I thought that Nolos would be primarily Rokari sect, and thus they would not have the ancient skin colours.

So I’m a bit confused by that picture, as it would have made more sense if it was set in Arolanit. Unless I’m getting my cities mixed up, and if so, please point out such for me, as my knowledge on The West is a bit fragmented, and probably will be until I get the Guide hard copy in my hands

Profile photo of Mankcam
    Mankcam
    Spectator

Please excuse my misspelling here and there in my posts, I am using my tablet and for some reason I can’t seem to edit my posts to correct my grammatical errors šŸ™‚

Profile photo of Peter Metcalfe
    Peter Metcalfe
    Spectator

I was under the impression that Castes would still apply to a degree to the Arkati/Honotheists, Ashari, and Hsrestoli; but movement between the Castes would be much less rigid, kinda more like social classes rather than set-in-stone infallible castes.

Safelster doesn’t really have Castes but a native system of status and kinship. The Trader Princes are too small to pay attention to Castes – there’s just Malkioni and Orlanthi. The Loskalmi do practice something that could be called Caste but I think they would reject any suggestion it came from the Castes as defined in the Abiding Book.

However the scene in the Guide says it is set in Noloswal, and they definately have the ancient caste skin colours, which actually led me to raise this query. I was under the impression that the Brithini were primarily in Arolanit (and also amongst the Zzubari and Talari of Sog City). I thought that Nolos would be primarily Rokari sect, and thus they would not have the ancient skin colours.

The ancient skin colours are better displayed on p215 where the Blue Skin of the Brithini Zzaburi is quite visible from a distance. The Nolos picture p406 of the Guide has the wizard being black from Pithdaros who do not care for obvious reasons. The Noble Woman does have light brown skin and the warrior Reddish skin but the skin colours are not as explicit as the already mentioned Brithini.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.