Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions Length of day?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joerg Baumgartner Joerg Baumgartner 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of skoll
    skoll
    Spectator

Hi all,

How long is day compared to night in Glorantha? Is it always 12h and 12h? Does it change season to season? Does geographical location make a difference?

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of Simon Phipp
    Simon Phipp
    Spectator

I’m fairly sure it is longer in summer than winter, so Fire Season would be longest, Dark/Storm Season shortest, Sea/Earth Season probably 12/12. Maybe days are longer in Dara Happa than in other places.

Profile photo of Robin Mitra
    Robin Mitra
    Spectator

According to the upcoming Guide to Glorantha (p. 110 Holiday issue) the longest night (summer solstice) is on Fireday, Harmony week, Fire Season, with the night being only eight hours. The winter solstice in on Fireday, Illusion week, Dark Season, with the night being sixteen hours.

My guess is that the hours of the day do not change in relation to geographical location, but I could be wrong here. However, the phases of the moon do change depending on location.

Profile photo of Roko Joko
    Roko Joko
    Spectator

That’s interesting. So, how does that work… Is the sunpath the same all year round? Does the sun travel at different speeds in different seasons? Do sundials tell you how far through the day you are, but not how many hourglasses you could have emptied that day?

Profile photo of skoll
    skoll
    Spectator

Thanks Robin. I tried searching the Holiday preview, but managed to miss that.

And I’d be also interested in knowing, what makes days longer in Fire Season and shorter in Dark season.

Profile photo of Harald Smith
    Harald Smith
    Spectator

The short answer on what makes days longer/shorter is: the events of the Gods War.
    Yelm was at his height during the Golden Age, then was killed and was forced to the Underworld in the Great Darkness.

As for the Sunpath, some brief text from the upcoming Guide:

Quote:
    “This is a regular celestial path, across which the Sun and the reliable planets travel. It is the route daily traveled by Yelm, and bright Lightfore marks the pathway prominently with his nightly passage. On the equinoxes the Sunpath precisely bisects the Sky Dome, but it tends northwards in summer and southwards in winter, such that it always crosses the Pole Star.”

Basically, remember that the Sky Dome rocks back and forth tilting north then south. The Sunpath always rises in the same place, sets in the same place, but travels up to the Pole Star, which is the top/center of the rocking Dome.

Also, “In winter, the Sun’s orb is paler and cooler: the days are shorter and the nights are longer…. In summer, the Sun is brighter and hotter: the days are longer and the nights are shorter.”

Profile photo of Roko Joko
    Roko Joko
    Spectator

I had the impression that the sky dome doesn’t tilt as much as 16-hour solstices would imply.
    http://www.glorantha.com/docs/stellar-faq/ – “Pole Star, like most of the rest of the Dome, does tilt north in summer and south in winter, though the amount of tilt is small enough that it can be ignored for most purposes.”

That said, even if the sky dome doesn’t “really” tilt that much, you could still say that it appears to, and you could use a bending-light philosophy to explain that in the same way as one can explain a flat world having a horizon. It would be interesting to see what the exact apparent angles are.

And I’m not really trying to imply that the sky dome itself has to truly have a physical Euclidean geometry. I’m only trying to say that my impression was that stuff I read about its tilt – like that web page – has implied that it does.

HOWEVER. What about south of the equator in Glorantha? Are the seasons reversed? Or are the days longer in Dark season?

I’m inclined to scrap the tilting thing and say that sure, the sun path varies a bit by season, but in line with that web page, not by that much. I’m inclined to say either that the length of days and nights don’t actually vary, or that the reason they vary is due to the Gloranthan sun having, unlike on Earth, different apparent speeds in different seasons.

Profile photo of Harald Smith
    Harald Smith
    Spectator

>What about south of the equator in Glorantha? Are the seasons reversed? Or are the days longer in Dark season?

No reversal of seasons in Pamaltela:

Quote:
    Although the Sun comes closer to Pamaltela in the winter and is further away in the summer, that does not mean the southern continent’s seasons are reversed from those in Genertela, as the summer days are still longer and hotter, winter days cooler and shorter.

Profile photo of Scott Martin
    Scott Martin
    Spectator
    Quote:
    [THE GUIDE:] Although the Sun comes closer to Pamaltela in the winter and is further away in the summer, that does not mean the southern continent’s seasons are reversed from those in Genertela, as the summer days are still longer and hotter, winter days cooler and shorter.

Since I live about as close to the Arctic Circle as anyone in the contiguous United States and since the endless nights are finally getting shorter again, I now have a burning desire to hear exactly how short the nights get as you go south toward the Burning Sea. Is there a point in far Pamaltela where night has no property and darkness gives way to endless sky fire?

I feel a myth of the Bomonoi Fire People and how the Agimori became mortal coming on…

Profile photo of Robin Mitra
    Robin Mitra
    Spectator

I think I am lost. So hen it’s not because of the tilt why excactly differ the length of the days?

Maybe the Sun is simply stronger in Fire season and therefore can spend more time in the sky?

Profile photo of Scott Martin
    Scott Martin
    Spectator

I wonder if the long-term “fix” on the Kallikos Rites has confused the whole world by interfering with natural seasonality.

Funny how the Sun is one of those myths that people keep trying to change to suit their own interests whereas the Storm is one of those myths people keep trying to pin down. Maybe at the end of the day it all boils down to weather.

Quote:
    Quote from Scott Martin on February 20, 2014, 15:51

Quote:
    [THE GUIDE:] Although the Sun comes closer to Pamaltela in the winter and is further away in the summer, that does not mean the southern continent’s seasons are reversed from those in Genertela, as the summer days are still longer and hotter, winter days cooler and shorter.

Since I live about as close to the Arctic Circle as anyone in the contiguous United States and since the endless nights are finally getting shorter again, I now have a burning desire to hear exactly how short the nights get as you go south toward the Burning Sea. Is there a point in far Pamaltela where night has no property and darkness gives way to endless sky fire?

I feel a myth of the Bomonoi Fire People and how the Agimori became mortal coming on…

Unless you look up the flank of one of those impossibly high mountains of glorantha, there is no way to see the sun on any part of the horizon other than due east or due west. As far as solar movement is concerned, all of glorantha is tropical. As far as the movement of the firmament is concerned, all of glorantha is polar.

Yelm being who he is, I am inclined to explain his different speeds across the day sky with different ritual schedules in summer and winter. More snobbish superiority in summer, more gloating at orlanth’s exploits at atonement in winter.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.