Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions Humakti and Children

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Summers David Summers 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Michael Hitchens
    Michael Hitchens
    Spectator

This may have been answered a long time ago, so apologies if it has.
    One thing I’ve never been clear about is whether Humakti can have children. Given the opposition of Fertility and Death, and the quote in the cult description in Sartar : KoH about Humakti causing miscarriages, the possibility that they can’t have children exists. So, and allowing for YGWV,
    1. Has anything official ever been said that Humakti can’t have children, or unlikely, or they can as much as anyone else?
    2. Maybe it’s one answer for Initiates and a different one for Devotees?
    3. If they can’t, might there be a myth/heroquest that would allow it?

What about other cults with the death rune? I’ve always thought Zorak Zorani could have children. I would expect Uz culture to not be found of anything that lessened the chance of offspring.

Profile photo of Charles
    Charles
    Keymaster

My feeling is that the death vs fertility for a Humakti is a matter of degree, not an absolute. An initiate of Humakt is less likely to become a parent. A devotee is much less likely. On a HeroQuest, as an initiate or devotee, in the role of Humakt, makes it nearly impossible. And, indeed, becoming a parent while in the role of Humakt lessens ones connection to Humakt and the death rune.
    So just as someone, nominally strong in fertility, might never have children, it is also possible for someone strong in death to have a child. When the gods made the man rune, they put in a bit of every rune, so every child of Grandfather Mortal has a little connection to each.
    Zorak Zoran (again in my opinion) has more of a connection to violence than to death, though fully embracing the connection between violence and death. So, while there is an impact on their fertility, it is not to the same degree as with Humakt. Uz culture accepts this because of their effectiveness as elite warriors.

Profile photo of Keith Nellist
    Keith Nellist
    Spectator

I don’t subscribe to the Humakti being sterile concept. I mean, for one thing, birth is a pretty good example of Separation, and can be bloody and difficult. I’d agree that they are less likely to have children but this would be because they are more likely to die before they have them, are unlikely to be loving partners, and are most certainly difficult to live with.

Michael Hitchens
    Spectator

Thanks for the answers, they help.

Michael Hitchens
    Spectator

Oh, and I’ve just been looking in Sartar:koH. One of the clan questions asks which god your clan awoke (or whether you followed one that didn’t need awaking). The one you choose is an ancestor of your clan. Humakt is one of the possible answers.

Profile photo of Simon Phipp
    Simon Phipp
    Spectator

Sure, Humakto can have children.

Tying oneself to the Death Rune does not make you infertile. However, some Humakti might take it to extremes and cut the Fertility aspect from themselves. Ralzakark’s Castrati are one clear example of this.

Humakti tend to be lone warriors, draped in an emo-cloak and separate from others. Or, they are organised in tight regiments, always at war. This makes it difficult to settle down and raise children. But, they should be able to have children.

What about other death-rune cults?

Yanafal Tarnils doesn’t seem to have a problem.
    Zorak Zorani have children.
    Babeester Gori can have children, but usually choose not to.
    Yelornans can have children, in fact the Unicorn Riders have many children.

Profile photo of David Scott
    David Scott
    Keymaster

In Prax Waha has the Death Rune and Eiritha has the Life Rune, and there are children between cultists.

Michael Hitchens
    Spectator

It wasn’t the death rune per se that sparked my question, but the line about Humakti causing miscarriages

Profile photo of Mark Mohrfield
    Mark Mohrfield
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from David Scott on April 28, 2014, 09:48
    In Prax Waha has the Death Rune and Eiritha has the Life Rune, and there are children between cultists.

True, but Waha’s attitude toward the Death rune is rather different from Humact’s. Waha’s Death would include hunting for example, which is Death in the service of life. Humact’s Death, by contrast, is simply Death, with any other effect being incidental.

Profile photo of David Scott
    David Scott
    Keymaster

oops fired my last one off a little quick.

My comment on Waha was as part of the list of other Death Rune cults.

Charles lays the foundation of the next part, leading on from everyone is made up of every rune (except for arguably chaos). The three runes of Heroquest model those runes which show themselves the most in a person. Finally the game system lets us “model” what happens when people start to develop a more powerful connection to a rune. In the case of the Death rune:

No Death rune – still a has a tiny bit in their makeup
    Has the Death Rune –
    13 – the lowest value of note in the game (from character generation)
    14-20 – Death has some effect (augmenting)
    21 (1 Mastery) – Can join a Death Cult
    31 (11 Mastery) – Can become a devotee and do Death feats
    32+ Gets better at the feats…

Just with this simple scale you can see a what level things might start to wither and cause miscarriages. I’d say at 31 + you are on the road to being Death, up ’till then you’re still normal-ish. You can apply the scale to any of the runes – Storm 31+ – you are well on your way to being the storm.

(please note i’m just using heroquest to model an answer, it doesn’t mean it’s an absolute answer)

Profile photo of David Summers
    David Summers
    Spectator

I played a Humakti who met her god and was offered a chance to give up the ability to bear children….

Michael Hitchens
    Spectator

I wonder how common “never be a parent” might be as a geas?

Profile photo of Evilroddy
    Evilroddy
    Spectator

Does Harrek the Berserk have children if he is a living embodiment of the Death Rune I wonder? No doubt he gets around and has had lots of opportunity to produce little clubs all over the place. Sorry for the tangent but he is arguably much more closely tied to the Death Rune than even most Humakti of very high level.

Profile photo of Simon Phipp
    Simon Phipp
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from michaelh on May 1, 2014, 11:31
    I wonder how common “never be a parent” might be as a geas?

“Never be a parent” and “Unable to bear/father children” are very different indeed.

The first is a geas that can be broken, albeit willingly, unwillingly or unbeknown.

The second is an ability that would be gained either through a Gift/Geas pair or through HeroQuesting.

What would be the Geas associated with “Unable to bear/father children”? “May not marry”, “May not engage in sexual intercourse”, “Never be a parent”?

Of course, the two are not mutually exclusive, as a Humakti could be married with step-children, or could have had children before gaining the gift/geas, so could be unable to bear children but have children.

Profile photo of Evilroddy
    Evilroddy
    Spectator

Remain chaste at all times? Accept divinely sent sterility? These seem more workable and enforceable than never be a parent. Could not a Humakti become a parent through adoption which would in no way break his/her vows?
    So was the Harrek question in bad taste? If not, I would like an opinion on the reproductive potential of Superheros who embody the Death Rune. The possibility, either way, intrigues me.
    Cheers.
    Rod Robertson.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.