Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions Gloranthan Timelines – Generational Perspective

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hannu Kokko Hannu Kokko 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Hannu Kokko
    Hannu Kokko
    Spectator

In my campaign I have long wanted a view of Gloranthan history from a perspective of an ordinary people who might only think about just a few years back, in my father’s day, when my grandfather was young, when my great-grandfather was initiated.

At the same I wanted to see what was happening at other regions at the time. Created the database for the calendar information and wanted to share a generational perspective for the Gloranthan history.

Now your Sartarite NPC or your character can say that the Moon worshippers finally got us when my father was young. My grandfather died with the last true king of Sartar – Salinarg. My grandfather had seen the opening of the seas and the Sun Worshippers receiving their land and starting to construct their temple.

Currently my campaign has some seafaring parts so I wanted to know when closing was in effect overall and in particular areas.

Almost all the dates and history information are compiled from the Guide, Kingdom of Sartar and the new Pavis book.

The generation is defined to be 25 years which might be a bit high for barbarian cultures but would work for civilized. The base year in the years ago is 1625. The table contains event per year for all areas, how many generations ago it happened, how many years ago it happened an

http://notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/2014/07/23/gloranthan-timelines-generational-perspective/

Hannu Kokko
    Spectator

..and whether Closing was in effect at the time

Profile photo of Chlodoweg
    Chlodoweg
    Spectator

If you use the standard Gloranthan calendars with 8 week seasons, 25 Gloranthan years is just about exactly 20 terrestial years. IE a good number for a generation.

And generation length isn’t necessarily longer in civilized cultures, in most earth cultures historically it’s about 20 years.

Hannu Kokko
    Spectator

updated with Elder Wilds and Wyrms Footnotes 15 Dragon Pass dates.

Profile photo of David Summers
    David Summers
    Spectator

“If you use the standard Gloranthan calendars with 8 week seasons, 25 Gloranthan years is just about exactly 20 terrestial years. IE a good number for a generation.

And generation length isn’t necessarily longer in civilized cultures, in most earth cultures historically it’s about 20 years.”

I think waiting until an average age of 20 is still too “modern”. Isn’t the age of adult hood 15 in Glorantha?

Given that a normal couple will have children over a period of up to 20 years, putting the average generational gap at 25 corresponds quite well to a couple starting with offspring at age 17.

Orlanthi female adulthood is determined by menstruation, and an individual affair. Orlanthi male adulthood initiation is a group affair, with boys up to 5 years apart in age introduced into the clan as adults. That can happen shortly after 12 or as late as 20, depending on the current crops of boys.

There are different initiation practices elsewhere, or varying degrees of adulthood (e.g. among the Grazers).

Hannu Kokko
    Spectator

Updated with the Army Activity by Homeland chart from WF15. All raids and invasions noted by area.
    http://notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/2014/07/23/gloranthan-timelines-generational-perspective/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.