Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions Discussion of Vol. 1. and Guide to Glorantha

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joerg Baumgartner Joerg Baumgartner 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Martin Helsdon
    Martin Helsdon
    Spectator
    Quote:
    * the Doraddi picture on p. 22 has groundcover that looks suspiciously grass-like. That was an unfortunate missed opportunity. It’s really interesting to imagine what a savanna kind of landscape would look like without grass.

Even on our Earth there are plants that look like grass but aren’t grasses. For example, the herb chives looks like grass, at least above the surface, but it is closely related to onions and other bulb vegetables. I’m not suggesting that the Pamaltelan savanna is covered in chives, but that appearances can be deceptive.

I had the same reaction years ago when I ran across this in Missing Lands.

Basically, the Pamaltelan Veldt doesn’t tolerate the kind of grass that will produce hay or grain. The northern coast has Pamalt as its earth king by default, but may have a different mythical association as former foothills of the Spike.

As far as I can recall, clovers are a prominent ground plant in the Veldt. For more sturdy vegetation, maybe some warm climate analog to heather might be found.

Chives and other kitchen herbs make a lot of sense, since the plants of the Veldt are derived from lineage medicine plants. Anything that can retreat below the soil in times of drought will be appropriate. And during dry spells, beast that normally would graze now can dig for the bulbs.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.