Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions Discussion of Vol. 1. and Guide to Glorantha

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joerg Baumgartner Joerg Baumgartner 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jeff Richard
    Jeff Richard
    Keymaster

This thread is for impressions, new discoveries, and other comments concerning the preview of Vol. One of the Guide to Glorantha. If you caught an error (or what you think was an error) – please post it in this thread: http://www.glorantha.com/forums/glorantha-group1/glorantha-discussions-forum1/preview-of-vol-one-for-kickstarter-backers-thread157.0/

2y1z0-Screen-Shot-2013-12-25-at-8.25.52-AM.png

Profile photo of Charles
    Charles
    Keymaster

What a wonderful present!

I just skimmed through the guide, looking at the art. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

Profile photo of Hannu Kokko
    Hannu Kokko
    Spectator

It is indeed looking great on the screen. Can’t wait for the final version.

A question: not all nationalities / regions seem to have “the greeting”. For example Esrolia area… Is this by intention of them not having a greeting or by lack of space. If latter – should we have a place for the missing greetings.

Jeff Richard
    Keymaster

Hannu – not all regions got the greeting. That decision was intentional on my part. I thought it added nothing to the Holy Country (especially given that I would then need to do five greetings, and they did not add enough to justify the space.
    And the Holy Country is a LONG chapter, with more information on that region than has ever ever been in print.

Profile photo of Hannu Kokko
    Hannu Kokko
    Spectator

Sure – do we have them separate elsewhere..,

Profile photo of Scott Martin
    Scott Martin
    Spectator

Wow! I’m sure many of the people who’ve been working hard on this have a personal relationship to Kalikos and his labors now. Love the tantalizing detail on the historical maps. Love the old art, the new art and the new art notes.

Love ending Volume I with the extended Lunar rhapsody — a sourcebook in itself — but EDIT oops, this may count as a stylistic suggestion, so who needs it? Thanks guys.

Jeff Richard
    Keymaster

The Lunar chapter is one of my favorite as well. There’s just sooooo much detail in it, and we enjoyed including some of Greg’s more esoteric diagrams like the Magical Geography, Rice Irrigation, and Standing Stones maps.

Scott Martin
    Spectator

The rice page leapt out at me as cutting edge revelation. Can only imagine the delights of Volume II.

Jeff Richard
    Keymaster

The rice growing and irrigation map is actually a key cultural dividing line in Peloria. South of the “Plough Line” you are going to mainly see traditional Orlanthi mixed farming. Where rice is the primary crop, you have core Dara Happan culture. Where rice is an important crop, you have heavy Dara Happan influence. And areas of temporary expansion were areas that once belonged to that cultural zone, but do not any more.

Scott Martin
    Spectator

Harrek’s dart career!

Profile photo of Simon Bray
    Simon Bray
    Spectator

Hmmm seems to be the wrong version of the Glorantha map at the start of the book…

Profile photo of Simon Phipp
    Simon Phipp
    Spectator

This is wonderful stuff.

It makes me hungry for more information on the Hero Wars, though.

Scott Martin
    Spectator

Another of the many, many neat bits: Oraya shows as much “Kralorelan influence” on the culture map as the Kingdom of Ignorance. Love it!

Profile photo of Roko Joko
    Roko Joko
    Spectator

On one hand the guide says that grass-like plants doesn’t grow [naturally] in [interior] Pamaltela. On the other hand,
    * people in the north cultivate barley, millet, rice, and wheat. Well, OK, you can say they get help from non-native grain goddesses.
    * the Doraddi use reeds. Hmmmmm. Well, maybe they’re from some other kind of plant. Fern stems? Shrub branches? Giant thistle prickles?
    * the Doraddi picture on p. 22 has groundcover that looks suspiciously grass-like. That was an unfortunate missed opportunity. It’s really interesting to imagine what a savanna kind of landscape would look like without grass.

Profile photo of Martin Hawley
    Martin Hawley
    Spectator
    Quote:
    Quote from Roko Joko on January 1, 2014, 03:00
    On one hand the guide says that grass-like plants doesn’t grow [naturally] in [interior] Pamaltela. On the other hand,
    * people in the north cultivate barley, millet, rice, and wheat. Well, OK, you can say they get help from non-native grain goddesses.
    * the Doraddi use reeds. Hmmmmm. Well, maybe they’re from some other kind of plant. Fern stems? Shrub branches? Giant thistle prickles?
    * the Doraddi picture on p. 22 has groundcover that looks suspiciously grass-like. That was an unfortunate missed opportunity. It’s really interesting to imagine what a savanna kind of landscape would look like without grass.

It was only in the earth year 2000 that the current classification of “grasses” was established using DNA phylogenetic studies.

(Soreng,Davidse,Peterson,Zuloaga,Judziewicz,Filgueiras,Morrone,and Romaschenko; 2000. A WORLD-WIDE PHYLOGENETIC CLASSIFICATION OF POACEAE (GRAMINEAE)

So I would suggest that if we accept your strict definition of what people would call grass, that many cereals and reeds could still be seen as non grasses.

Yet….i would argue that:
    In Glorantha it is not the modern human classification of items, as well as modern human perceptions of events, schemata, cultures, race etc), that is important but the mythic one: thus if there was a mythic event where a growing thing was defined as “Grass” by a myth event or story; or was the offspring of a Grass spirit in Pamaltela then that plant is grass, otherwise even if it looks like what we modern humans think is grass it just isnt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.