Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions Dara Happan Beast Gods

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Simon Phipp Simon Phipp 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Martin Hawley
    Martin Hawley
    Spectator

Does anyone have any idea who the lord of beasts …the progenitor of (all or some of) the beast deities… is in the Dara Happan pantheon?

Profile photo of David Scott
    David Scott
    Keymaster

The Gods Wall in the Guide (p670) has beast deities (i’ve included birds):

I-14. Vrimak God of Eagles.
    I-16. AvarniaGoddess of Quails and other small birds.
    II-21. Ertelenari Goddess of Bears.
    II-25. Galgarenge Goddess of Griffins.
    III-1. Gerendetho Lord of the Earth. Certainly a candidate for the Lord of Beasts.
    III-5. Oria Great Goddess, All plants and animals are claimed to come from her.
    III-8. Vergenari Goddess of Pigs.
    III-13. Busenari Goddess of Cattle.
    III-18. Durbaddath God of Lions.
    III-24. SurEnslib Goddess of Herons. In some places all plants and animals are claimed to come from her.
    IV-3. Varnaga The Crocodile God.
    IV-13. Sanama Goddess of Snakes and Serpents.
    V-18. Gamara This is the Horse Goddess.

Profile photo of Martin Hawley
    Martin Hawley
    Spectator

Thanks David
    I had found all of these but i was wondering which deity(ies) they originated from, or if there was a creator of all animals or creator of these animal ancestor deities in Dara Happan myth
    I guess this could be Oria?

Profile photo of Scott Martin
    Scott Martin
    Spectator

I like the story “Lodril Paints the Animals” in Anaxial’s Roster. Oria probably maintains her prerogatives as mother of all, but in places where they recognize husbands and/or fathers I like the zoology the Lodril version sets forth: breeders, game, predators, tricksters.

The birds evidently have a separate heritage…

Profile photo of aumshantih
    aumshantih
    Spectator

Oria governs the “Beast Soul” of the Dara Happans, so I would say that She is likely the theistic source of the rune.

However, I could see myths about the how the Beast Rune came from somewhere else and was somehow made part of the order of things by the goddess Oria. My God-Learner-y side would say this would be an interaction between the Animist and Theist world views in the early Golden Age.

Profile photo of Simon Phipp
    Simon Phipp
    Spectator

Vrimak was that part of Yelm’s soul that flew to the Sky when he was killed.

The Griffin Deity was a companion of Yelm, who followed Yelm into the Underworld.

Hippogriff was Yelm’s steed.

I cannot remember where the others came from.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.