Home Forums Glorantha Glorantha Discussions Are Grazelanders Nomadic?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Simon Phipp Simon Phipp 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Spectator

Pretty much the title – trying to organize some stuff and wasn’t sure where they fit into the four-part division.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Spectator

Answered my own question by referring to The Grazelands: “Sun-worshiping horse nomads”

Profile photo of Erick Eckberg
    Erick Eckberg
    Spectator

You know, I never felt like the Grazelands were a wide enough expanse to support a nomadic culture. I realize that “Greg Sez” and therefore it’s so, but I always felt that the nomadic pure horse folks who settled there would have pretty quickly become agrarian town-dwellers. Sorta like what happened when we (Americans, or our government anyway) stuck nomadic Native American tribes onto reservations with limited area. It’s not like they kept wandering around in circles in a 100 mile x 100 mile area….

Profile photo of Peter Metcalfe
    Peter Metcalfe
    Spectator

They live in Yurts (or Ger if you are into that sort of thing) and they graze their horses. Thus they maintain the nomadic living style of their ancestors.

But they are also fed by the labours of the sedentary Vendref who grow regular crops. Therefore they are not nomads.

In fact their life style is little different from the Praxian tribes when they dominate the oasis folk. The main difference is that the fertile places that allow agriculture aren’t separated by huge tracts of infertile ground.

Hunting plays a greater role in their culture (it’s the religious default occupation for young adult males), and presumably in their diet as well. I would expect much of the grain they are receiving from the Vendref to be used for horse fodder rather than bread or porridge.

I don’t expect them to take any meat from the Vendref (or the Vendref able to provide much meat – they would have just enough cattle for upkeep of their plow teams). Even 800 years after the schism in Pent, they still are following the Pure Horse doctrine. Those who did not probably joined Derek’s Pol Joni.

As to migration patterns, think of them as similar to the Dark Ages/Mediaeval European courts, constantly on the move between their vassals – and possibly some favourite hunting grounds. Much of the time, the Vendref are left to their Kenkacho overseers.

It would be interesting to know whether the Vendref are treated like common property of all clans or like sedentary herds claimed by individual clans – i.e. will it be considered hostile if another clan takes over the provisions saved by a Vendref village for their overlord clan?

Profile photo of Simon Phipp
    Simon Phipp
    Spectator

One of the best descriptions of the Grazelanders that I saw was from years ago. They are nomads and are forbidden to farm/cultivate, but they have vendrefi slaves who do farm. Every harvest time, the local Grazer Chief brings his braves and they whoop into the village, whereupon the Vendrefi release their cattle, pigs, sheep etc from corrals for the Grazers to shoot with their arrows or stick with their spears. After all, they are hunters, not farmers.

I think that each Grazer clan has its own Vendrefi villages and raid them for tribute yearly, or perhaps more often. The Vendrefi villages could, however, be taken by another clan, becoming their property for raiding purposes.

The Feathered Horse Queen is the representative of the Vendrefi, so they all probably ultimately belong to her. She stops the Grazers from mistreating them too much.

Compared to the Praxians, Grazers are quite small in numbers, so wouldn’t need much grazing. The Grazelands are much more fertile than Prax, so they wouldn’t need to move far to feed their herds.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Glorantha Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.